I was on like a six way call and Terrence asked me a question and everybody gave their answer.. typical convo from my friends.. lol gotta love them.. :o) Told them id love to blog everyones answer so here they are, in a nut shell. (Not even sure if I use that right), LOL. Whatever..
Terrence: Brit, let me ask you. What does it mean to "Act White?"
Me: It's no such thing..
Terrence: I agree with you but according to members of our own community. There are people who act white.
Me: Thats ignorance.. Just because some ppl arent all LOUD and Ghetto and or are from the hood doesnt mean that ppl who speak proper act white.. Some say my voice is super light and that I dress white but I'm clearly African American. I just have my own style.. ignorance i tell you..
Terrence: I know. What if I was good at math would they say "I'm acting Asian?" People need to wake up.
Me: LOL True.
Terrence: Disclaimer: I SUCK AT MATH!
Tonya: I hear it all the time... It's so sad that our people limit themselves to recognizing proper english,professionalism,good behavior and concrete life goals... If these things make me white then I'm happy..
Me: (Butting in) Yessssssssss! youre right T.
Marcus: I've learned that from a sociological perspective, there IS such a thing as "acting white." "Acting white" is internalizing Eurocentric standards of behavior, dress, and culture and holding these things as the standard to which every other variation is measured.
Francis: It's a racist and idiotic statement...there is no such thing!
Nicole: it means to act either like their stereotype of a white person (i.e. if you can't dance you are acting white) or completely different from their idea of how a black person "should" act (i.e. if you are vegetarian you are acting white)
Well thats the jist of it.. What do you think? Ask youre friends and see what they say..